Knowing WHY you want to get rid of tinnitus is essential. Your WHY gives you the motivation to start making changes in your life, and then keeps you moving forward on that path, regardless of any obstacles you encounter on the way.
I ask this question of all my coaching clients: “why have you come for coaching?”. Initially I get very similar answers from everyone – and they probably sound a bit like yours:
• “I don’t want to live with this noise”
• “I want to stop tinnitus controlling my life”
• “I want to get rid of tinnitus”
I can’t disagree with any of those. I was in exactly the same space when I started my tinnitus journey. I just wanted it GONE.
But, behind that initial reason there is something deeper; something more specific. So, pause for a few seconds right now, and ask yourself, what is the real reason (or reasons) you want to change your current experience of living with tinnitus?
Here are some ideas to get your brain juices flowing:
- do you want to be able to attend music concerts without fearing they will make your tinnitus worse?
- do you want to be able to set off walking anywhere in your neighbourhood without worrying if you’ll hear lawn mowers, leaf blowers or chain saws?
- do you want to be able to go out with friends and not care if the bar or cafe is so loud you have to shout to make yourself heard?
- do you want to feel comfortable flying, or taking a road trip, to vacation with your family?
- do you want to be able to walk into a theme park relaxed and looking forward to having a great experience with your family regardless of the noise levels?
- do you want to be able to concentrate well at work, and do your job effectively and efficiently?
- do you want to be able to sit in quiet environments without feeling anxious about your tinnitus?
Grab your phone or a piece of paper and write down your WHY here. Be specific and write it in positive language, like the examples above.
Now, what can you do to remind yourself of your WHY, your motivation?
Here are some suggestions:
- write it on several post-it notes and stick them in places where you need a reminder:
- tempted to keep watching yet another episode on Netflix even though it’ll take you past your bedtime, and you know that will make your tinnitus noisier tomorrow? Stick a reminder on your remote.
- tempted to crank up the music volume? Stick a reminder on your headphone case or your phone.
- create a motivational post in Canva and make it your screensaver on your phone, tablet or laptop, or print it out as a poster.
- tell someone supportive and create an accountability partnership
Let me know your why in the comment section below.